- President Jovenel Moïse was assassinated at his home around 1 a.m. when a trained and heavily armed group broke inside. The identities of the assassins are not yet known, but rumours are circulating about possible links to drug trafficking though there is no concrete evidence indicating this is the case.
- The first lady, Martine Moïse, was also shot but did not die. This was originally reported but has been debunked. She has currently been hospitalized and was expected to be transported to another country for treatment.
- Jean-Rebel Dorcénat, coordinator of the disarmament force, was arrested as he attempted to flee to the Dominican Republic.
- Haiti is under siege for 15 days. National borders, including airports, have been shut down and a state of martial law temporarily enacted.
- JetBlue has suspended operations in Haiti as the airport has been closed indefinitely and is working with impacted customers. American Airlines was still evaluating the situation to decide what to do as of 2 p.m. ET.