NASSAU, BAHAMAS — Former Minister of Health Dr Duane Sands said there have been several people who have sought medical attention at Princess Margaret Hospital for conch poisoning in recent days, though it was unclear if the cases have been confirmed as Vibrio parahaemolyticus — a bacterium found on conch that affected dozens of people in 2018.
“Unfortunately, there is a signal that there is — and I think as the weather gets warm, we may be starting to see some of that,”
“I am aware of several — I can’t tell you the exact number, but several cases of conch poisoning.
“I think you’re going to need to talk to people at the hospital, but I am aware that we have seen some and this is how it starts. Let’s find out from public health whether there is an issue and act accordingly.”
Calls placed to Ministry of Health officials were not returned.