Minister of Local Government and Rural Development, Desmond McKenzie, has announced an adjustment to the two-week ban on burials currently in force.
“This is to allow for the disposal of human remains in specially prescribed circumstances. “Having met with funeral directors and related stakeholders last week, a number of proposals emerged from those conversations,” said McKenzie.
A release from the local government ministry said accordingly, approval has been given for:
- The burial or cremation of bodies that are in an advanced state of decomposition.
- The burial or cremation of bodies that are not in an advanced state of decomposition, but have been recommended for immediate burial by the appropriate health authorities, and
- The burial or cremation of indigent persons who die in state care.
“These measures took effect on Saturday, March 13. I want to make it clear that only the clergy will be allowed to administer the final rites for persons who are buried or cremated in these three circumstances. No family gathering will be allowed. The current Order prohibiting burials remains in effect,” said McKenzie.