A months-old problem with the cranes and stackers at the Campden Park Container Port came to the fore last week as two ships had to leave St. Vincent without being able to offload their cargo amidst the heightened commerce of the Christmas season.
Prime Minister Ralph Gonsalves commented on the development on WE FM on Sunday, saying that he had discussed it with the directorate and management of the Port Authority.
“I have come to certain conclusions because of things which were told to me and things which were told to me were not true,” said Gonsalves, who, up until last month had ministerial responsibilities for seaports.
“I don’t want to go into any details at this point but be assured that requisite action is being taken and will be taken further,” said Gonsalves, who has been succeeded by Senator Julian Francis as minister with responsibility for seaports.
iWitness News has failed in its repeated attempts since Friday to reach SVG Port Authority chief executive Bishen John for a comment on the situation.