News

Bahamas: Bannister to query BPL’s nearly 9,000 disconnections claim

NASSAU, BAHAMAS — Works Minister Desmond Bannister said yesterday that he has asked Bahamas Power and Light (BPL) to provide him with the figures on how many disconnections the company has carried out since July.

He told Eyewitness News yesterday, “there’s no way” the company could have disconnected nearly 9,000 consumers as reported last week.

Back in July, the company announced that it would immediately resume disconnection of electricity services of residential customers who had $500 or more in arrears for more than 90 days as of April 1.

A Tribune report last week indicated that since announcing it would resume customer disconnections back in July, the company has turned off 8,741 residential accounts in New Providence and the Family Islands.

MORE

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s