- Boris Johnson tests positive
- US stock futures turn lower after 3-day rebound
- Global case total nears 538k
- US case total nears 86k, with ~1300 deaths
- China border closure begins
- 1 in 10 Americans say they know somebody with the virus
- South Africa lockdown begins as country confirms first 2 deaths
- Hong Kong reports 65 new cases, largest daily jump
- Singapore makes standing too close to somebody else illegal
- North Korea says 2,280 people still in quarantine
- All of Russia placed on lockdown
- Hungary PM announces lockdown plans
- Israel mobilizes army to enforce lockdowns
- President Xi, Trump promise to “unite” to fight virus during call
* * *
Update (0720ET): Just days after placing his entire country on a strict lockdown, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has reportedly tested positive for COVID-19.
“Over the last 24 hours I have developed mild symptoms and tested positive for coronavirus,” Johnson tweeted. “I am now self-isolating, but I will continue to lead the government’s response via video-conference as we fight this virus. Together we will beat this.”
Johnson was tested on the advice of England’s chief medical officer, a spokesman said.
His symptoms are said to be ‘mild’ and he will continue to run the country while self-isolating, just as Canadian PM Justin Trudeau has done.
- UK PM JOHNSON HAS MILD SYMPTOMS AND WILL SELF ISOLATE
- UK PM JOHNSON WILL STILL BE IN CHARGE OF UK GOVT HANDLING OF CRISIS
In a twitter message, Johnson seems to be doing okay. “We will get through it,” he said in a tweeted video message.