Since COVID-19 appeared in the news, I have paid even more attention to some of the preparedness forums and social media groups that I am part of. People have a lot of questions about preparedness and I have been making an effort to help them figure things out whenever possible.
In one group I saw a picture where a fellow was showing what he had bought to prepare himself and his family when the first cases in Italy appeared in his area. I private messaged my thoughts on what he had procured and sent some links to articles at Backdoor Survival. This was the beginning of a conversation that has kept going as the crisis has escalated in Italy.
A Brief Time Line Of COVID-19 In Italy
In order to see how the virus progressed, I have recreated a brief timeline of Covid-19 spread in Italy.
- January 30, 2020: Two confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Italy reported among Chinese tourists. All flights to China are suspended.
- February 24, 2020: Total confirmed cases 229 and 6 fatalities.
- March 8, 2020: 16 million people under lockdown in the red zone. Confirmed cases jump 1,300 and total 6, 387 and deaths rise from 133 to 366.
- March 9, 2020: All of Italy is on lockdown. Quarantines are being enforced and those that break it are subject to criminal charges.
- Prisons are the scene of many riots after prisoners learn that they will not be allowed visitors. They are fearful that they will have no protection from the virus and no help.
- March 10, 2020: 10,149 confirmed cases and 631 deaths so far.