Bahamas: Hurricane Clear-Up Has Cost $20m So Far
TWENTY million dollars has been spent so far on Hurricane Dorian debris cleanup in Grand Bahama and Abaco.
#This is according to Katherine Forbes-Smith, managing director of the Disaster Reconstruction Authority.
#Mrs Forbes-Smith gave a detailed report at a press conference on Sunday, marking the six-month period since Hurricane Dorian hit Abaco and Grand Bahama.
#“Hurricane Dorian produced an unprecedented amount of debris in Abaco and Grand Bahama,” she said. “Such debris accumulation in a matter of days has never been experienced in The Bahamas.”
#Hurricane Dorian hit Abaco and Grand Bahama in September. With maximum sustained winds of 185 miles per hour, it was the strongest storm to hit The Bahamas. It is estimated that the storm caused $3.4 billion in losses and damage.
#Despite the vast efforts to clear the disaster zones, much cleanup work is still required.
#“Since mid-February the DRA has been reviewing existing collection contracts, preparing to augment collection in areas not covered by those contracts,” Mrs Forbes-Smith said. “We are making steady progress on the mainland of Abaco and Grand Bahama. We will be increasing our focus on collection efforts throughout the Abaco cays.