Summary: Here’s a glimpse of new virus-related developments that occurred overnight.
- Total number of confirmed cases now 900+, 26 dead.
- China restricts travel for 40+ million people as the death toll surges.
- Two deaths have been reported outside Wuhan.
- Some residents displaying symptoms are being turned away from hospitals.
- Hospitals in Wuhan make urgent pleas for help and supplies.
- UK and US governments tell citizens to avoid outbreak zones.
* * *
Asian markets closed on Friday for the Lunar New Year holiday, which officially begins on Saturday. But in China, the Communist Party leadership are scrambling to contain the virus as 13 cities in Hubei Province are now under quarantine, meaning more than 40 million Chinese will be forced to spend the holiday week at home, the South China Morning Post reports.