THE Guyana Elections Commission will, this weekend, publish the names of over 25,000 persons who have failed to uplift their National Identification Cards, having applied for same some 11 years ago.
The commission said the names will be published in the daily newspapers and the owners of the cards will have 10 days to show up and collect their cards. Failure to do so will result in them being struck off the Official List of Electors. Chairman of the commission, Justice (rtd) Claudette Singh, reinforced the decision when the body met for its statutory meeting on Tuesday, long standing commissioner of the electoral body, Vincent Alexander told reporters following the meeting.
He said the names will be published in the four national newspapers: The Guyana Chronicle, Stabroek News, Kaieteur News and Guyana Times. “We did explore the possibility of in fact dating when the person was registered in the publication but it starts from 2008 and comes forward [with the most recent being] to last year,” he told reporters outside of GECOM’s High Street, Georgetown office.