Federal prosecutors are fighting to make sure a Trinitarios gang member stays locked up while awaiting trial on charges related to a broad-daylight beatdown linked to the murder of Bronx teen Lesandro (Junior) Guzman-Feliz.
Ramon Paulino, 21, is accused of bashing a 14-year-old boy with a log in the median of the Bronx River Parkway on June 18. Video shows 11 others joined Paulino in the vicious attack that left the young victim with stab wounds so severe he went into cardiac arrest. The teen barely survived.
“The attack on this child was brazen — committed in broad daylight, on the median strip of a busy parkway — and the evidence against Paulino is overwhelming,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Sarah Mortazavi wrote to the Second Circuit Court of Appeals in papers filed earlier this month.
“The defendant is a significant flight risk and he poses a danger to the community.”
NYPD Chief of Detectives Dermot Shea previously told the Daily News the parkway attack is linked to the mistaken-identity slaying two days later in a Bronx bodega of 15-year-old Lesandro (Junior) Guzman-Feliz. The machete murder horrified the city, and authorities vowed to crack down on the Trinitarios gang.
The government asked a judge to imprison Paulino during a hearing June 22. But federal magistrate judge Henry Pitman instead gave Paulino $100,000 bond and home incarceration monitored with an ankle bracelet.
Manhattan Federal Court Judge Andrew Carter upheld Pitman’s ruling after a hearing.
“The crime that Mr. Paulino has been charged with is a serious crime, and I do take it seriously. However, this is not a crime for which Congress has indicated that there is a presumption that people charged with this sort of crime should be detained without bail,” Carter said.