Uncategorized

Barbados: “POWER PLANS”

BL&P working to avoid another islandwide blackout

THE Barbados Light & Power Co. Ltd (BL&P) is putting measures in place to decrease the chances of an islandwide power outage taking place.

Speaking during a press conference at the BL&P’s Garrison, St. Michael headquarters, Managing Director Roger Blackman informed members of the media that 75 per cent of the operation at the power company’s substation in Seawell, Christ Church has been restored, following an explosion at that location on January 8 which resulted in an islandwide power outage.

He said preliminary investigations revealed that the fault was isolated to a breaker for one of the generators at the substation, causing damage to adjacent equipment.

“But having identified that the fault was isolated to that one breaker, we were able to proceed with conducting repairs to the adjacent equipment, so we have gotten that substation back to about 75 per cent of full capacity. The remaining 25 per cent that is out is associated with that one breaker and the generator that uses that breaker to generate electricity on to the network,” he said.

The Managing Director explained that the 25 per cent operation at the substation which is not functioning, means that more pressure is placed on the overall system, resulting in BL&P adjusting its maintenance programmes to be able to accommodate the substation until it is functioning at its fullest capacity.

“It is not at full strength yet, but we are on our way back up and we anticipate that within the next month or two, we will have the remaining 25 per cent at that station back in service,” he said.

Having said that, Blackman noted that a fault at one specific location of the network should not bring down the entire system. He said a fault occurring on the network, away from a generation plant, is normally addressed by protection systems that isolate the fault so that it does not affect the entire network.

More

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s